Student visas are arranged by the University of Tehran. After receiving an offer of admission and accepting it, the candidates are expected to register via the online portal of the Student Affairs Organization at http://saorg.ir:8081. To complete the online registration, candidates should submit a scanned copy of the following document in JPG format:
- Personal photo (maximum file size of 50 kb)
- First page of passport (maximum file size of 100 kb)
- Graduation certificate (maximum file size of 100 kb)
Upon completion of the registration process on the portal, candidates receive an ID Code. The ID Code and the Tracking Number should be emailed to the International Students Office of the university by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). This office will then arrange for the candidate's visitor visa. The processing time for visitor visa applications is normally one to two months. If the application is approved, candidates can pick up their visitor visas from one of the Islamic Republic of Iran's Embassies or Consulates abroad or upon arrival at the International Imam Khomeini Airport.
Students can enter Iran with the visitor visa. Within two working days after their arrival, students are required to apply for a two-year residency permit at the International Students Office of the University of Tehran. The staff at the International Students Office speak English and students will not have any problems applying for their residency permits. Students are not required to apply for separate visas to reenter the country during their two-year residency in Iran.
- Citizens of Azerbaijan, Bolivia, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Georgia, Armenia, Venezuela, Egypt, and Malaysia are exempt from visa obligation. Students from these countries are not required to obtain a visitor visa to travel to Iran.
- Citizens of Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, India, Bangladesh, Somalia, the United States of America, England and Canada cannot obtain their visitor visa from Imam Khomeini International Airport. Students from these countries should obtain their visitor visa from an Iranian embassy or consulate abroad. Citizens of other countries can obtain their visitor visas upon arrival at the Imam Khomeini International Airport.
- Visa processing for the citizens of the United States of America and Canada may take up to four months. Students from these countries are required to submit their applications by 15 January 2019.
- Those who have Israeli visas or Israeli entry/exit stamps in their passports are refused entry into Iran and will be deported.
- The Islamic Republic of Iran government considers Iranians with citizenships of other countries as Iranian citizens only.